Being pregnant and having a baby is usually a time of celebration and joy.
This is not the case for everybody. For some people the emotions are overwhelming. This can be when they find out they are pregnant, during pregnancy or after giving birth.
If you’re finding being pregnant difficult or if, after having your baby, the baby blues are not going away, you may be suffering from pre or post natal anxiety or depression. Symptoms include:-
- Chronic anxiety
- Incessant crying
- Lack of energy
- Lack of interest in your new baby and yourself
- Feeling alone and isolated
- Worrying your partner may leave
- Conflict with parents: pregnancy can often stir up emotions regarding your own up bringing
- Fear to seek help
- Low mood for a long period of time
- Unrealistic expectations of parenthood
Studies indicate that 10 – 15% of new mothers will experience PND. Please seek help from your family, friends and GP.
Counselling may help you through this difficult time. I offer a safe, non judgemental place where I will listen to your fears and anxieties and help you understand your problem. I will work with you to find ways to work through your worries.